Medication abortion now accounts for more than half of all U.S. abortions. Mostly because medication abortion allows you to have an abortion at home or a place you feel comfortable. This option also allows you to tailor your experience, making it unique to you and giving you the power to make it your own.
This may be the first time you’ve had an abortion or decided to do it with abortion pills. Here’s how it works and what you can expect.
What do I need for an at-home abortion?
An at-home abortion is all about self-care! Think about what makes you feel better when you’re on your period or feeling under the weather. Keep in mind that misoprostol can cause intense cramping, heavy bleeding, and nausea so have things on hand to alleviate these symptoms. Here’s what we recommend:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers like Ibuprofen, Tylenol or Advil. Here is a list of the best medications for period cramps that also are safe to take during your medication abortion.
- Heating pads are another great way to ease cramping. If you don’t have one, here are few options. You can also use Hot Hands.
- Peppermint tea, ginger tea, and mints can help with nausea. Prepare a cup after you take the second pill and have a handful of mints by your side just in case.
- Get into your most comfortable clothes! Wear loose clothing, like your favorite pair of sweatpants and oversized sweatshirt, to lounge in while the misoprostol works its magic.
- Have logins to your favorite streaming services. This is a great time to binge watch a TV series or movies. Here’s a list of the best feminist TV shows that will empower, educate, and inspire you!
- If you’re an avid reader, here are some inspirational books that may help you feel empowered.
- Stock up on your favorite snacks. We recommend staying put after taking misoprostol. That means you should head to the grocery store ahead of time to snag your favorite self-care edibles.
- A box of pads as you can expect bleeding as the pregnancy passes. It’s not recommended to use tampons for up to **** after taking misoprostol so that you can monitor your bleeding.
- Pregnancy tests to ensure the medication was successful. We recommend taking a test 2-4 weeks after your abortion.
This list is just a guide with items the majority of our patients find comforting when they’re having an at-home abortion! Please make this your own and prepare your space with what will make you feel best.